What will you learn?
- Examine the role of your lab notebook in good research practice
- Understand what lab notes are
- Know the parts of a lab notebook
- How to make entries in a lab notebook
- Understand legal and ethical responsibilities involved with lab notes
- Discover electronic note-making
- Know more about documents based on lab notebooks
Why should you enroll?
A lab notebook is the first record of your research activity from experiment to observation. As a researcher, your lab notebook is your most valuable tool and main working document that will include hypotheses, experimental setup, evaluations, data, interpretations, calculations, and early analysis. In this course, you will learn how keeping a well-maintained lab notebook is a good scientific practice and crucial in lab research from organizational and legal purposes.
What topics will you cover?
Lecture 1: Introduction
Lecture 2: Objectives
Lecture 3: What are lab notes?
Lecture 4: Legal and ethical implications
Lecture 5: Design of a lab notebook
Lecture 6: The front matter
Lecture 7: The body
Lecture 8: Non-obligatory rules
Lecture 9: Electronic laboratory notebooks
Lecture 10: Documents based on lab notes
Lecture 11: Summary